What is hockey?

Posted: January 13, 2013 in Hockey
Tags: , , ,

An excerpt from Phat Wilson, a soon-to-be published novel from goodegg ebooks

I don’t know why hockey is so important to me. But I know what hockey is.

It is the white boards bruised and lacerated where a shot missed the net, where a clearing pass ricocheted, where a player slid into the boards skates first. It is the way the white boards curve into the corners and whip you around behind the net.

It is the white ice scarred by a hard deke, a sudden acceleration, a curving glide.

It is little drifts of snow in the crease scraped up by jittery skates.

It is sounds. Skate blades making the zing of swords being removed from their sheaths. Sticks colliding, sticks tapping for a pass, sticks unleashing a vicious shot.

Gunfire, distant and close as pucks and bodies hit the boards.

It’s  waves breaking on the shore, interspersed with shouts from leatherlungs in the crowd who know better than the coach and all the players combined.

It’s ebb and flow.

It’s teams working together and it’s individual players seizing the day.

It’s late night camaraderie and it’s early morning hangover cure. It’s calculated violence and chivalry. Sacrifice and egotism. Good guys and bad guys and goons.

It’s shaking the hand of the man you just flattened to the ice.

It’s an alignment of the stars as the puck goes tic tac toe into the net in a play so elegant, it can’t be thought of. It can only be done.

Hockey’s outcome can be decided by just one act. Just one hero.

Like war.

Other sports are games. Good games. Worthy games.

Hockey is life.

— The musings of Gordonalan, in the soon-to-be-published novel phatwilson

Advertisements
Comments
  1. kittie88wong says:

Yay! Your site is up and running. Love the theme. Goes well with your material. I really like this excerpt. Looking forward to reading the book.

• dconnors8 says:

Now I am trying to figure out how to move this to godaddy and self host it. I read that I have to wait 60 days until I can move a domain. Is that true

• kittie88wong says:

Hmmm. I’m not sure. It could be. Is WP the one who is saying that? Call GoDaddy talk to them about it. They should be familiar with the 60 day thing. I avoided it altogether by self-hosting from the get-go. You’ll have to pay for GoDaddy to host your site. Just tell them everything you want to do and they’ll help you sort it out. I’ve had pretty decent dealings with them.

2. Thunder King says:

The sentences are too short. Too short and too choppy. Short and choppy. Short, choppy. Short-choppy.

3. Thunder King says:

Short. Choppy.

4. Thunder King says:

Why is your noggin tilted at that funny angle? What effect are you striving for?

5. Thunder King says:

This is a helluva an impressive blog page Mr. Connors. And I’m sure your most recent novel will be a tremendously entertaining read. My crown is off to you.